🎉 We made it 1 year on the road!! 🎉
I can hardly believe it was 1 year ago that we set off on our big adventure. Looking back, there isn’t a thing we’d change beside not getting on the road sooner. We’ve learned so much after all this time on the road and we look forward to many more years on road. Here are some fun stats from our past nomadic year:
A bit of background on our decision to go nomad:
In the fall of 2015, we decided to hit the road with the SUV and a travel trailer. Our goal was to set off on April 1st, 2016 and stay on the road for 1 full year. Within 2 months, we knew we had made the right decision. Becoming full-time nomads was to give us more opportunities to explore and go backpacking in new areas. And oh boy, did we?! We hiked, biked, drove and explored new areas every weekend. Okay, there was some weekends we did nothing and did our house chores, but that’s beside the point 😉
We’re thankful that everything went smoothly and was not hit with major setbacks. We had car trouble and some trailer issues but nothing we couldn’t fix. It can be scary at times but nothing we couldn’t overcome.
Living in close quarters with each other, we got to know each other pretty well. We knew when to give each others space and we took it one day at a time. It’s a sort of tango that we quickly learned to dance to.
To the upcoming year:
We have a few ideas on what we’d like to do this upcoming year. We will be going back to Colorado for the summer and continuing our exploring of the mountains. At the moment, our plan is to stay roughly until November and move to the Southwest again for Winter. Can you really blame us for enjoying these 50°-70° sunny days?! We have a potential big exploration plan for 2018 which will firm up in a few weeks. We’ll let you in on our secret when the time comes. Go on now… go explore a little!
“Use your fear… It can take you to a place where you store your courage.” – Amelia Earhart
More fun stats:
- Miles driven: 20,314 miles!
- State visited: 14 States (AZ, CA, NM, TX, KS, CO, SD, WI, IA, OK, NE, LA, NV, WY)
- Miles hiked: 523 miles
- National park visited: 6 (JTNP, DVNP, RMNP, PFNP, GCNP)
- Long Trails visited: 4: CT, AZT, GET & LSHT.
- RV parks visited: 10 RV parks/Resorts
- Boondocking nights: 23 free nights of camping on BLM
- This includes SUV camping
- Turkeys hit: 1 on the highway that gave us a broken mirror.
- Countries Explored: 2: New Zealand and USA
- State Highpoints climbed: 8 (AZ, NM, CO, LA, SD, KS, OK, NE)
- Highest Climbed this year: 14,433 ft. Mt. Elbert, Colorado